Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gettin' It Wrong

"Sometimes I think I mistake comfort for peace"


It was just a random thought, but it was a little heavier than random. So, I made it my facebook status, of course. But that wasn't enough. I need to flesh this thought out. Here we are.

Comfort. Peace. Seriously, how do you know the difference? I'm not so sure I get it right. In fact, I know I've messed it up a few times for sure. I've chosen my comfort zone as a mistaken choice for peace. But I really don't think this happens too often. I think typically we know the answer. We know the difference. Okay, maybe I should speak for myself in this instance. I know the difference between comfort and peace most days.

Yes, the "feelings" are similar, somewhat hard to decipher, but not one in the same. I can feel good in my comfort zone, while knowing that the unsettling in my gut is a lack of peace. I can be scared silly and be confident that the reassurance I have is peace.

Not one in the same.

The comfort zone is where my flesh is happy. Peace is what the Spirit bares in my life. Transcends all understanding. Comes at just the right moment. Settles me- fear or no fear.

No, I don't always get it right. I get the two confused. I choose comfort over peace. I get it wrong.

But

I know the greater of the two. Peace stomps comfort every single time. It's the harder more rewarding choice. The choice that puts you in the center of His will.

I guess what I'm noticing is that I need to let God be my comfort instead of hiding in my comfort zone.

Peace.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7).

In His Name,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Emily said...

So good!! I think I make the same mistake sometimes too...almost as if I think my own fleshly comfort is better than His true peace. Maybe this goes along with that daily taking up our cross thing...we have to be willing to constantly choose His peace over our [often very temporary] comfort.

Jennifer said...

Thanks! I think you are right. Sometimes comfort just feels so good, but like you said, it's temporary. I'd rather have eternal. Of course, that's easier said than done.