Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Fear and Knowledge= Wisdom

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight (Proverbs 9:10).

Have you ever met someone who was oozing (I mean that in a good way) with wisdom? All you cared about was sitting just a little closer in hopes that some of the wisdom would rub off on you. Me too. In fact, I've often wanted to blurt out, "Please talk to me forever. I want to know everything. Oh, and could you give me a how-to list of how you got to this point?". Desperate?

Although I've never had the guts to probe that much into the lives of the wise, I think I know what he/she would say. They would tell us to fear the Lord, to seek the Lord, to love the Lord, to trust the Lord, and to talk to the Lord. Proverbs says, the knowledge of the Holy One is insight (9:10b). Fear and knowledge. Seems like a weird combo to me. Or does it? The more I fear Him the more I know Him. The more I know Him the more I fear Him. I can attest to that.

One of my absolute favorite quotes of all time is...I know that's a lot of strong descriptions in that one sentence, but you just wait. You will love it too!...

"Is he – quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”
“That you will, dearie, and no mistake” said Mrs Beaver; “if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.”
“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.
“Safe?” said Mr Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe)

Amen. Amen.

He's good.

I've learned it. I'm learning it.

Safe? Not so much, but He is oh-so-good.

That's the beginning of wisdom, folks, and I'm hungry for more.

Enjoy your Monday, Ladies and Gents, and soak up some wisdom, while you're at it.

In His Name,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very true and I get that way, wanting to learn all I can about something. I always love the Narnia quotes to, weather they're random or within a sermon (best of all);)

Jennifer said...

That's a good thing! I do too....I love me some Narnia quote too, but it makes me want to go home and watch the movie! :)